Friday, January 4, 2008

Peace


Yesterday I received a late Christmas present from my one of my dearest friends and it is hard for me to decide what meant more to me, the gift or the message enclosed. The present was from my girlfriend Aggie. Well, I know her as Aggie and have called her that since we first met in 1974, but that is another story. Aggie is a textile designer, and a very talented and well-respected one at that, and anytime she shares one her commercial projects with me I am thrilled. In my mind, handmade/heartmade gifts are the best gifts of all. The present is pictured – a pillow featuring the peace symbol. I would have to write for days to describe Aggie’s special spirit but her thoughts on the peace symbol is that it is not a trendy symbol from the 60’s but it is something to be shared. I believe she is right. The enclosure card that came along with the gift read, “Better beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear,” a quote from Aesop’s The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse.

I have placed both the pillow and the quote by my bed. The pillow to remind me of my precious friend who has an “eye that sees"* and is generous in sharing herself with others. The quote will remind me that there is peace to be found in simplicity.

*Carolyn Snow - Art in Everyday Living – Home Economics Department, Berry College (1974).

No comments:

Post a Comment