Saturday, September 3, 2011

Atlanta Has A Lot Going On

If you are looking for things to do this weekend, then Atlanta is the place to be and I felt so lucky to participating in some of the festivities.  

The morning started with my husband announcing that Ramsay's Kitchen is filming in our neighborhood so of course I had to get in the car to go see what was happening.
There were lots of extra cars and people were unloading trucks but I really couldn't make much from what I saw. 
 The restaurant where the filming will be taking place features wonderful smoked meats.
 According to the restaurant's website they are taking reservations during the dates of the filming for those interested in possibly being on the show.  Guess we'll be hearing more about Michon's sometime next season.

Each year during Labor Day weekend Atlanta hosts Dragon*Con, the worlds largest fantasy and science fiction convention.   It's exciting when attendees start coming into town because you never know what you might see.   Yesterday as I was coming out of the train station I ran into a girl dressed as a fox!  My friend posted some pictures on Facebook from today's parade and I thought some of you might enjoy seeing a few pictures from this most unusual event.  Oh, and keep in mind temperatures today reached 95 degrees.  These folks wearing these costumes must be HOT.
 Another big Labor Day event is the Decatur Book Festival a place where the website says "you can mingle with 300 of your favorite authors."   Well guess what...that is exactly what I did!!!   
CAN YOU SAY MARY KAY ANDREWS?

If you haven't read any of her books I promise that you can make your summer last a little bit longer just by reading her books! 

Now to tell you about the visit. My friend Alicia was given a one hour visit with Mary Kay Andrews for her birthday (Alicia is on the left in the photo below).  Alicia was allowed to bring along a couple of friends and she kindly invited me to come along.  
Pictured L-R Alicia, Mary Kay Andrews, me.
It was interesting to hear a bit about the writing process - getting to know the setting and history of specific locations just to get started.  Then putting story lines, characters and descriptions together in order to create a book.  Just imagine as readers we consume a book in a matter of hours that took the author months, sometimes years to create.

I can't thank Alicia enough for including me in her amazing birthday present and Mary Kay, thank you for making the visit so special. 
As I was walking back to my car I ran into my good friend Kirk and he suggested we go for coffee.  It was the perfect way to end the day and a wonderful way to celebrate Seasonal Sunday.  I'm joining The Tablescaper to celebrate the last days of summer. 

13 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a fun day and encounter with a favorite author, JoJo! Interesting about Ramsay filming in your area too. Sounds like Atlanta is rockin' this summer!
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Kay Andrews is one of my favorite authors. I just finished "The Fixer Upper" a couple of weeks ago and now have "Deep Dish" which I'll start soon. It looks like you had a fun weekend. I imagine Dragon*Con would be a fun place to people..or alien watch. Hope you have a great Labor Day.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl --
    I agree that Atlanta has a lot going on this weekend. I keep hearing on the news that the traffic into the city is so bad due to all of the events. I went the other direction up to Cashiers! Still looking forward to getting together for lunch soon. Seeing Mary Kay Andrews is a score!
    Linda @ A Toile Tale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - I love that author ever since you sent me her book! What fun that must have been for you, and how kind of your friend to share her gift with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my goodness..it really is Hotlanta! Looks like you had an exciting day, cherish it, they don't come along often! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love Mary Kay Andrews~ I finished Summer Rental, but my favorite book of hers was Hissy Fit! I love Atlanta~ my family lives in Marietta... I need to visit soon! Have a great Labor Day weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How neat to see this for real and not on a screen. Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  8. Atlanta is hoping this weekend for sure! I have met Mary Kay and she is such a hoot! Nice lady and a wonderful writer. I have read everyone of her books even those under her real name Kathy Trocheck! I am so glad your friend invited you along with her. I'll be on the lookout for that episode on Ramsey's Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've not read her work. I'll have to add some of these titles to my reading list.
    Glad you had a fun time. Lots going on in Atlanta.
    Happy Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun place to be during this long weekend,Jojo. I love Atlanta although I've only been there twice, once to accompany my daughter to a law convention when she was considering to go to Law school and another time when I got stranded in the airport and had to stay overnight in a hotel....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my best friends in Alphareta (?) outside of Atlanta and works for the CDC. I went there a few years ago for a conference and to see her, great town.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great weekend, lots to do!
    I heard a weather warning for Atlanta, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete