Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remember...and Volunteer

This weekend marked a day of volunteering in our community so that those of us in Atlanta could mark the ten year 9/11 anniversary with service.
To kick off the weekend a forum led by leaders from Red Cross, GEMA, the Salvation Army, CARE International, GE, Home Depot Foundation and UPS Foundation was held on Friday. 
 9/11 reminded us of the need to be prepared. 
 Here are some of the highlights from the program:
  1. Make sure your family/work colleagues have a designated meeting place.  During 9/11, communication was interrupted.  Being able to account for lives in crisis situations becomes critical. It was even suggested that families consider joining local ham radio clubs.  Ham radios work when cell phones don't.
  2. Let first responders do their work first.  Trying to volunteer immediately after a major incident can get in the way of critical life-saving efforts.
  3. Prepare through volunteering.  Most faith-based organizations have highly organized crisis response programs.  Local governments also have preparedness programs and count on volunteer assistance from the local community.  Get involved in these programs so that when disaster strikes, you, your family and your community will be prepared.  Communities working together can accomplish amazing things. 
  4. GIVE BLOOD.  I give because I lost my sister-in-law at the age of 35 and while slowly dying, I know the blood transfusions gave her "good" days with us.  At this point I've given more than 3 gallons.   When emergencies strike having blood supplies on hand saves lives.
  5. Learn CPR.  You never know when you will be called on to use life-saving measures to help a friend or family member.
My prayers and thoughts join with people all over the world in remembering the innocent who lost their lives ten years ago.  

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful, positive post today, JOJO. Atlanta is such a progressive city...I love the idea of promoting volunteerism today. I think it would make a fabulous national movement.

    Your blog header photo is awesome...those girls just keep getting more and more adorable. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a New Yorker I had a heavy heart today as 9-11 seems like yesterday, and not 10 years ago. I hope we can all turn this sad anniversary into a day where we can all do good and show kindness. Good to triumph over evil! It would be a fitting way to remember those lost lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post about 9-11 was very informative. I need to take your advice!

    I certainly learned a great deal from this visit to your blog, Jojo!
    I've never heard of monkey trees, nor did I know anything about Madeleine Albright's book & pins.
    Thanks for all the lessons!

    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiring post, Cheryl! Thanks so much for your sweet comments and for entering my Annie Sloan giveaway! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post, JoJo.
    Will never ever forget here. Two cousins at The Pentagon that day.
    xoxo


    Please come by my blog, hate to leave this on this post but I've got news for you on the giveaway.
    All my best, Tracie

    ReplyDelete