Monday, August 22, 2011

From Sunflowers to Moon Blooms

I planted sunflowers next to moon vine seeds so it's exciting to look out the window right now.  Morning or night there are beautiful blossoms.   The one mistake I made was planting the moon vine seeds so that they would climb on my Carolina Sapphires because the incredible fragrance of the cypress trees overpowers the lovely frangrance of the moon vine blooms.  
Have you ever seen a moon vine in bloom?   The flowers are so fragrant and the blooms are about six inches across.  As the sun begins to set if you are watching the vine, you can actually see the blooms open.  It happens in about 120 seconds!  
I'll stop carrying on about the flowers and let you see them for yourself.  In just a few minutes I'll be going out for a moon walk...just to enjoy the flowers.  

14 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen a moon vine flower before, Cheryl. It's beautiful! How unique that it opens in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful pictures! I've never heard of moon vine but I'd love to have one. I've been away from blogging for awhile. Guess I just got burned out plus had absolutely nothing worthwhile to write about. I finally posted yesterday. With the grandkids back in school my days are less "filled". I won't have student teachers this semester but will do a few observations...so guess I'll have more time on my hands. I need to catch up on your blog so I can see what's been going on. Hope all is well in your world. Love the pic of the grand girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen a moon vine. What gorgeous blooms. Watching them open would be like seeing a miracle every evening. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful! I've not heard of these flowers but am going to put them on my list for next season. Very pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen photos in books, but never a real Moon Vine....and never a photo as lovely as this one. What a treat this must be for you to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just catching up on your latest posts, JOJO. Each one is more exquisite than the last!

    I can get lost in your beautiful photographs. You are truly gifted in capturing the essence of your subject!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder if they grow in West Texas, where it's so hot and dry? They are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So amazing...the opposite or hibiscus! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So gorgeous. I don't think I've ever seen one, but would love to.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  10. We used to have some moon flowers in our flower beds when we first moved here (They had been planted by my husband's grandmother-the previous owner of our house). We no longer have these flowers, and I actually had completely forgotten about them until now. Yes, they are enchanting. It's amazing to watch God's creations unfold.
    Your moon blooms look beautiful! Enjoy your evening walks.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to grow them in Ohio and they were so fascinating. Love them mixed with your artemesia! (at least I think that's what it is!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow!! I have never seen anything like that...I would love to see it and smell it in person, will put it on my wish list for one day...how special!
    Kiss Noises Linda

    ReplyDelete