Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

My Dad with my oldest son in 2004

Today we'll be honoring my husband and my oldest son but I'll also be taking some quiet moments to remember my Dad who passed away in 2005. As an adult there are so many times during the course of a day that I stop and think about a certain hobby or habit and realize it's something my Dad did or it was an example of good living that he set for me. As far as parents go, my Dad was the nurturer, the heart if you will, rather than my mother. He was also the career Dad, a well-known leader in the community and the person who was known for random acts of kindness. He was an incredible gardener and he continued growing things up until he passed away. My Dad died of congestive heart failure but the month after he died we still harvested cabbage and broccoli from his last crop. His family, church and community all had great meaning to him. By example we learned to be led by faith, to love and do good for one another. He was wise in his advice, being quick to act when necessary but slow to respond when one needed to carefully consider the issues at hand.

My Dad used to sing a lot - mainly old gospel, hillbilly music, old cowboy songs. We had been talking about one song I remembered him singing as a child and the next day I came home from work to hear that he had called and sung the song to me on our voicemail. I want to share the lyrics with you. Happy Father's Day.
The house my Dad and his 11 siblings grew up in; built by my grandfather in the early 30's.

In a vine-covered shack in the mountains
Bravely fighting the battle of Time
There's a dear one who's weathered life's sorrow
It's that silver haired Daddy of mine

If I could recall all the heartaches
Dear old Daddy, I've caused you to bear
If I could erase those lines from your face
And bring back the gold to your hair

If God would but grant me the power
Just to turn back the pages of Time
I'd give all I own if I could but atone
To that silver haired Daddy of mine.

I know it's too late, dear old Daddy
To repay for the heartaches and care
But dear Mother is waiting in Heaven
Just to comfort and solace you there

If I could recall all the heartaches
Dear old Daddy, I've caused you to bear
If I could erase those lines from your face
And bring back the gold to your hair

If God would but grant me the power
Just to turn back the pages of Time
I'd give all I own if I could but atone
To that silver haired Daddy of mine

10 comments:

  1. That is a post to be proud of! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How blessed we were to have him as our father and our children's grandfather. Pap loved freely and was an example of loving kindness and tolerance. He was a rare individual who appreciated everyone for who they are without expections of who they should be.

    Cheryl, thank you for reminding me of the privilege we had in having Pap as our father. As painful as it is to be reminded of our loss, it's good to be reminded of all he gave to his family, friends and community, and the legacy he left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having Pap as our father (and our childrens'grandfather) was such a blessing and today, like every single day since he left this earth, I'm reminded of all that he gave to his family, friends, and community. I'm thankful I took every opportunity to tell him how much I loved him but especially today I'd love the chance to tell him again just how much I love and miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing to have a wonderful father like yours. Those lyrics brought tears to my eyes. And the photo was very touching to me...the house and all its inhabitants...one of them being the man who became your Daddy.
    Many blessings to him in Heaven...and for your family on this Father's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, Carol. You Dad looks and sounda like a wonderful man. He left a beautiful legacy.

    I lost my Dad when I was a teenager and not a day goes by that I don't miss him. We keep them alive in our hearts and minds and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Jojo! What a wonderful post! It sounds like your daddy left you with a rich heritage! I love down home music (being a singer) and I did my best to imagine him singing that song—not doubt with a wonderful accent.

    I have been blog hopping just to see where the links take me. I found you through My Romantic Home.

    Thanks for sharing, KJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sweet Girl,

    Goodness your Father, and my Grandfather were a lot alike. My Grandfather passed away with CHF back in 1982. He was really the only dad I ever had.

    I too, remember little things he said or done or watched on T.V. that might spark a sweet memory. So a belated Happy Father's Day to your family.

    I'm not planning on doing a another giveaway for the 6-month mark. Partially because I didn't think it through when I decided to host the "Fine Art Giveaway" that I will be drawing a # for this Thurs. And the same day we are leaving to go on Vacation. I sure wish it was the beach. I'm running out of time, and I really need to pack for this trip so I'm gonna pass.

    BUT, thank you for offering to post it on your blog. And if you do one, I will post it for my readers. Just let me know when it's up. And dang it...I hate to miss out on the chalkboard party on Friday too. I guess I will have to put my post up on Thurs before I leave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw this today. It brings the best of memories of Pap who is watching over all of us.
    I do miss him.
    Hassan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheryl, Your post is a sweet and loving tribute to your father. Thanks so much for sharing the link and your memories of him. Sorry I missed it on Father's Day. Love the photo of his old house. Is the house still standing?
    Hugs, Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Babs the house stills stands as does a barn that my dad, grandfather and the brothers "raised.". All are located in a tiny community called Dry Creek just outside Celina, Tennessee.

      Delete