Thursday, February 19, 2009

Coffee, Tea or Layaway?


Do you ever just jump in and do something and then spend days wondering "what was I thinking?" Well I have had one of those experiences this week but in the end I am excited and very thankful for layaway.

When I was growing up I loved and admired my mother's Gorham coffee service. Over the years I spent hours polishing the silver and of course my mom promised that it would one day be mine. I believed that. Unfortunately life just doesn't always turn out the way you believe it should. About two years ago following my dad's illness and eventual death, my sister recognized that my mother's service was missing. After looking around the house and trying to deal with the shock that someone would have taken it, we had to accept the fact that while my dad was sick and caregivers and others were in and out of the house the service went missing.

This past weekend I decided that I was going to finally just buy my own and we went to the antique market to look around. My son and husband went with me as they have listened to me grumble, complain and whine that I never got to enjoy the service. My son also enjoys polishing and so his opinion counts. At the market my son spotted a beautiful set that had the initial "H" engraved on it. My maiden name starts with "H" so of course he immediately decided this was the service that was meant for me. And so I put it on layaway.

I am so excited about finally getting my service!!! It may take me a year to get it paid off but after asking myself what I was thinking, I decided the real question should have been, "why didn't you do this sooner?" As soon as I get my set I will be having a girl party! Maybe it's time for me to join the Red Hat Society.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...that makes me sick that someone would steal your Mom's lovely silver tea set. I am sooooo glad you have found one you like...and soooo glad you went for it! I can't wait to see it! Just think of the tea parties! :-)
    So appreciate your visits to my blog! You always make me smile with your generous comments! :-)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete