Friday, August 27, 2010

The Labyrinth

In some ways I got home this evening and was irritated with myself.   I intended to continue my post about the Hamptons.   In particular I want to share with you a very special place there that is amazing in many ways, though it will have to wait.   I downloaded all the pictures on my work computer AND my work computer is AT WORK so that post will have to wait.  



Meanwhile I saw something today and took a picture of it.  It is something that I want to share with you.  In the past I may have mentioned that I volunteer a lot and one of the volunteer programs I participate in is with is the Road to Recovery.   It's an American Cancer Society program that matches volunteer drivers with patients needing transportation to the their treatments and wow - what a rewarding experience!   For me it is is therapy.   I lost my best friend who helped me make it through my teenage years, my sister-in-law (though to me she was always a sister), in April 1987.  From the time I was 12 years old, she was the big sister I had always dreamed of and losing her was the hardest life experience that I've ever had to face.  She left behind a 5 year old son, a gaping hole in my heart and wounds for my family that remained raw for decades.  In fact I cry for my dear Elsa every few months.   One thing that happened after losing her was that I valued my sister Cathie even more and that was a good thing.   To me there is nothing more wonderful than sisters.

What does that have to do with today?   Well, I give blood (3 gallons or more so far) and drive cancer patients in loving memory of Elsa and today was a patient driving day.  While waiting for my patient to complete his treatment I spotted a beautiful labyrinth in the garden at the treatment facility.    There is something so spiritual about a labyrinth and when I saw it I got out of the car to sit at the bench beside the beautiful pattern.  Then I walked the grassy path.  In my mind I found my way out of the twists and turns and it gave me such peace.  It was as if I freed the patient that was traveling with me today and for just a moment, I knew Elsa was with me, smiling that we were sharing this moment of peace.

I had every intention of posting all about this amazing place in the Hamptons, and believe me, I will get to it, but today I had to share the labyrinth.   Isn't it strange that my dear Elsa and her Ionotti family was from Westbury, NY?  It was meant to be for me to share her story while I carry on about New York.  The world may be big but we are all connected somehow, and today it was with the labyrinth.

May the labyrinth give you peace.

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, JoJo. Walking a labyrinth is a healing experience. Thanks for sharing this today. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. A labyrinth can be such a special place. There are several in Victoria - from the one painted on the parking lot of a suburban church, to the one made from hedging at a retreat centre to the one made of pieces of slate outside the cathedral. They are places of contemplation and peace for me.
    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is mesmerizing...very spiritual. Thank you for sharing it today, it was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just looking at that labyrinth makes me feel peaceful. Lovely.
    How special that you honor your sister in law with such important work. That's really a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story! Thank you for the volunteer work you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a true believer in the peace a labyrinth gives. Often I make the trek to one, tucked away a short distance from where I stay in California.

    Your post was amazing. Sisters are so very special. May you be blessed this day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this heartfelt story. A labyrinth, comforting.

    Have a peaceful Sunday.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a moving and heartfelt post Jojo and I do understand your feelings - I too lost a best friend 7 years ago and a day doesn't pass that I don't think of her. A most beautiful labyrinth, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful and moving post. Your volunteer work is such a wonderful way to pay tribute to your dear sister-in-law. I don't know much about labyrinths, but I know there is one on the grounds of an old stone church here in Santa Barbara that I have only seen from a distance. Thank you for inspiring me to actually pay it a visit.

    ~jermaine

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely post....You are a very special person and I'm so happy we have become friends..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful way to honor your friend and the labyrinth is soothing. Have a lovely week ahead
    Marie Arden

    ReplyDelete
  12. Walking a labyrinth is a healing experience. They have one in Buckhead at a church and I walked it once. Very interesting. Yours was a beautiful one. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I walked the labyrinth inside Grace Cathedral in San Francisco on my recent visit. It was a very meditative and soothing process.

    Your volunteer work is so valuable! It is a wonderful way to honor your sister-in-law.

    ReplyDelete