Sunday, February 19, 2012

Loving the West Coast

Sometimes it's nice to stop and think about the things I enjoy most about work.   It's the people.  Let me share this week's trip to . . .
 Los Angeles!
We held a reception and met some new friends.  It was a wonderful mixer.
And I was blown away with the view from my office window.
Can you see it?
We also held a fantastic community service project putting together swag bags with some essentials for some junior high school kids to use at summer camp.   High school kids from The After-School All-Stars of Los Angeles joined volunteers from my workplace to help us get the nearly 200 bags stuffed.
Here's a group of our volunteers getting ready to start the stuffing.   We even had a quality control department to make sure every item was added to the supply bags.
When the day ended a couple of us headed out for dinner and enjoyed an evening at Rivera.  
In addition to its cuisine, Rivera is known for its bar.  Amazing beverages made by hand using what is known as  mixology - the art and science of mixing drinks.  I sat and watched at the bar for a short while where I really did see "artisan-to-glass" in process.  
Then there was the food...yum!


Before leaving town I had time to meet up with my dear friend Joni!  It had been seventeen years since we'd seen each other but it was as if we'd been together yesterday. 
Before dashing off to the airport I ran into the gift shop looking for a card and found this wonderful makeup bag. 
Then walked around the downtown to enjoy scenes such as this. 



Today I'm linking up with The Tablescaper to celebrate Seasonal Sundays.   Looking forward to seeing what others are up to this season.

14 comments:

  1. Wow what a trip - love the view from the office window and that little make-up bag what a find - I might even get out my sewing machine to see if I can create a similar project.
    Happy week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful trip! So special to reconnect with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were so close by, my dear...Sorry I didn't get to meet you....It looks like you had a wonderful time...! And RIVERA looks Deee-licious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish a visit would have worked out but hopefully the next time it will. The weather was so unbelievably perfect and of course I flew home through one hour of turbulence to enjoy a gray and rainy day today. Being able to look out at a whole bed of bird-of-paradise was breathtaking.

      Delete
  4. What a great trip! If you have to travel on the job, LA seems like a pretty exciting place to go. It's wonderful that you are able to see beyond the work, and to find friendship, good food and some good times - and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have a fun job ~ trips to LA sound exciting. How nice to get to catch up with your longtime friend. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. LA is an interesting town to visit and it looks like you had a fruitful trip there, Cheryl. I'm glad you were able to reconnect with a friend and also enjoy some spectacular food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to VISIT (not live) LA. My sister lives there too. I am glad you had such a nice time and got to see an old friend.s andie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a great combination of business and pleasure. Now what again exactly is it that you do that takes you all over the country?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was perfectly able to resist it all until I saw the make up bag. Big oooohs and ahhhhs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. LA is such a great place for a trip and it looks like yours was fun with a mixture of work and play. It must have been so exciting to see your friend after so many years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there Jojo!
    Was just blog hopping and came across your lovely space. :)
    I've spent the last few minutes poking around-I'm loving it! I suppose that means I'm going to have to hit the Follow button on the side so that I can come back again.
    Love that makeup bag. I've never seen one like that before, it's super cute!

    Take care,
    ((Hugs))
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you had a great time & got some constructive work done as well.
    I love those smiling shots of your friends! Such happy times to be shared & savored.
    Nice snag on that darling make-up bag! Lots of lovely detail on it.

    Whenever anyone asks my DH if he misses his practice, he always answers that he doesn't miss getting up at 5:30 am but he sure misses his patients & the doctors that he worked with at the hospital. You're right...its the PEOPLE who are important.

    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete