Saturday, November 5, 2011

I'm a Rosebud

My mom at one of the Rosie gatherings
 And I'm proud of it.   A Rosebud is the daughter of a Rosie the Riveter and today the Atlanta Chapter held its quarterly meeting.  It was especially exciting that four Rosie's were able to attend.  

I get so excited at these meetings because it is a chance to meet and talk with individuals who are living history.  Two of my favorite people, Ken and Kathleen Powell, were able to make it and I was so happy to be able to sit with them.   If you click on the link you will hear Kathleen's story but having been a prisoner of war in Germany,  Kenneth too, has a story to tell.  
Four Rosie's now living in Atlanta





 Today's meeting was at Atlanta's 57th Fighter Group Restaurant which is located at the Dekalb-Peachtree Airport.   The great thing about meeting there is the fact that everyone in the restaurant recognizes and values the role these senior citizens played in American history.   For those who've never been to one of these restaurant's it's worth a visit.  It's like stepping back in time.  
Our President lined up a wonderful speaker who volunteers as a pilot with Angel Flight and I enjoyed learning about the work of the organization but the best part of the day for me was having time to visit with the Rosie's.  
President Billie Ruth Bird and Mack Secord, Angel Flight Pilot
Read more about some of our members and previous meetings as featured in the Atlanta Journal Constitution by clicking here
 
I've been working on a number of ways to honor veterans in my workplace on Veteran's Day but it was especially nice to have today to celebrate the amazing women who served.  

Stop by The Tablescaper and see what other bloggers are up to this Seasonal Sunday. 

13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and inspiring group of people - every one of them. Your mum's legacy is a treasure for you and your children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful post about a group of very inspirational people! Thanks for stopping by and your comment on the ginkgo trees!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting get together that must have been. I'll bet they could tell lots of interesting stories. I love the 57th Fighter Group, but haven't been there in years. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my post.
    Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Cheryl! What a fun and interesting post! I know you must be proud of your mom and all the other women who served our country as Rosies! I love that restaurant...indeed a step back in time! Happy Sunday!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! You must be so proud! Thanks for sharing your mom!Joann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Mom looks so cool...Yay, Her!! This is a moving tribute to a generation that gave & endured so much. Thanks for sharing it with us & for participating in it yourself.

    My DGS#2 interviewed my DH for a report on a Veteran. We have been promised a zerox copy of it.

    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes me want to cry! I love it! JoJo, you are doing such a wonderful service. They deserve to be honored and how!

    I have a picture of my mother dressed in a Red Cross uniform from WWI. She couldn't have been more than about five. I was looking for it recently and am afraid I "put it up" somewhere... yikes!

    I love your mother's outfit in that first shot. She is just darling! Isn't it amazing what these ladies did for our country and for the world at large??? I just get goosebumps thinking of it. A friend of mine's mother was one of the nurses who went in for D-Day, and my friend went with her mom to Washington where all of these people gathered (I think maybe for the first time). She said it was the most awesome experience of her life. Her mome is in her 90's and absolute PISTOL. Her dad (now deceased) was there in Europe, too, but they hadn't met at the time. Hope was a little red-haired vixen! Still is! LOL!

    Thank you SO much for sharing this with us. Our country is so much stronger because of people like your mom and these ladies as well as our troops. God Bless America!

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful and inspirational post! Thank you so very much for sharing your mom with us too!

    Have a great day!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful, Cheryl. They are such an important part of our history. I applaud your efforts to honor our vets.
    Happy Seasonal Sunday and have a good week. I hear you were here in NY for our October snowstorm! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing post. Living history.

    Happy to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post. My mama was a Rosie, too, but passed away in '88.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautiful way to honor those who worked so hard in America while their menfolk fought overseas. What brave, strong, inspirational women.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is another wonderful organization, Cheryl! I can see you got your spirit of unselfish volunteerism from your beautiful Mom.

    My Mom and Dad were married during WWII and my Mom has so many stories about working in a "war plant" while my Dad was overseas. This truly was the "greatest generation."

    ReplyDelete