Sunday, October 19, 2014

Planning Memos, Birthdays and Balance

I've really missed blogging. 

I've thought about my blog a lot over the past several months but I was always short on time, couldn't come up with something good to post and never seemed to have a good photo to share.  In part because over the past many months I've given my all to my work or to work-related projects which is great I guess but it has taken so much of my energy and it has cut into my family time, friend time and my time to daydream.    

One of the most consuming things I worked on was a big event and many times during the months of preparation I thought about how blogging had inspired me and given me so many creative ideas to prepare centerpieces, videos, promotional material and entertainment.  Just checkout this great video for a flavor of the event.  

So now that the event is over, things have gotten back to normal "busy" thank goodness.  Now at work it's time to plan next year's budget and write our annual planning memo.  And I've also just had a birthday.  Thinking about being a year older and at the same time thinking about making plans for the coming year has had my head spinning.  What goals should I set?  What should I be aiming for?  What do I hope to achieve? 

Today I had a birthday lunch with my dear friend Susan and many thoughts crossed my mind after we met. I want to share a few things that I need to remind myself.  

Always be open to friendship.  I've always believed that friends are rarely found in the workplace but I've been lucky to discover a friend in an unlikely place. Find a balance, even if you love your work.  The work I do is powerful and makes a big impact in lives and in the community but it also involves me making personal investments of time and energy outside the work day.  When one gives so much to others, it's important to remember to refill one's own cup.  Planning a head and anticipating big things can be great but by doing so one can miss some terrific moments. Living in a constant state of preparation or anticipation isn't really living.  Find time to see friends, enjoy family, get in touch with nature, experience the seasons and walk in the sunshine.

Somewhere I got it in my head that as you got older life would slow down a bit.  I've learned that it doesn't, it hasn't and I don't think it will any time soon.  There's always more to do, more to worry about, more to tend too and never enough time.  So as I write my planning memo for the coming year, I'm going to remember my birthday wish. I'm not going to share my wish here for fear it won't come true but I can tell you that I'm counting on enjoying the year. 

6 comments:

  1. Cheryl - I've taken a break from blogging as well, and have just re-joined the fray this week. I have made a decision to not accept ads or take money for endorsements, just so I could do this. I was not in any agreement to anyone else, so I was free to step aside when it began to feel like work. I just want it to be a sort of self-indulgent exercise, and when it's not fun, I'll sit on the sidelines for a while. I am glad you are back and I'm looking forward to your lovely, entertaining posts.
    Linda @ A Toile Tale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding balance is crucial at any stage of life but it changes from season to season, doesn't it? Glad to see you post again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Video!! Balancing life and work is always a sesaw act, isn't it? You seem to do it very very well, my dear.....!
    A Very Happy Birthday to you, and many many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated Birthday wishes, Jo Jo!

    We think alike but you express yourself better. I agree with all you said. I have been away from blogging a while also because my life was very full with other things and there is just so much time in the day. I thought about people but for the most part had to put other things first. I still have a long list of things I need to do at home, with friends and family. I also have a long list of things that need doing on my blog too. You are right about balance and the commenter above is right about it being a see saw act.

    I decided to do the best that I could and quit worrying about what I could not get done. It is a good problem to have many blogging friends, close friends, neighbors,family and a church family to enjoy.

    Your work video and your activities have kept you busy for worthy causes. I applaud helping others in need.

    I am sending you a link to another blog I found insightful today. Hope it speaks to you also.

    Enjoy the beautiful weather and change of season. Thanks for your encouragement. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://theletteredcottage.net/camp-wandawega-my-must-do-list/

    This is the link I mentioned.

    ReplyDelete