Sunday, July 20, 2014

What Would You Wish For?

Nowadays I'm not so sure that summer is still a time for "those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer," but it is a time when there is a little slow down.  And when things slow down, I daydream. I've always been a daydreamer and some of my most inspired thoughts come to me when there's enough slow time for some blue sky thinking. Sometimes those daydreams are so far-fetched or deep-seeded that they've been buried or tucked away deep in my mind.  But if can take time to remember those wishes, most of the time the ideas are still good and every now and then it's nice to remember some of those dreams and think about possibilities.

Last month I was visiting Lemon Lane's blog and I spotted something that caught my eye.  Do you see the festive colorful rags made into a garland pictured in this photo?
http://lemonlanecottage.blogspot.com/2014/06/vintage-markeplace-burlap.html
This photo is property of Lemon Lane
In India quite often in the temples you will see rag garlands but they aren't for decoration.  They are for wishes.  When you visit the temple you make your wish and tie a piece of fabric on the garland.  When your wish comes true you are to return to the temple and say thanks, then remove your piece of cloth to make a space for someone else's wish. 


These rag garlands were tied and hung in Jaswant Thada in Jodhpur (yes, home to the real jodhpurs - these fancy pants came from India)!  Jaswant Thada is a beautiful mausoleum made of white marble and the grounds feature a lovely garden with gazebos and a great view of the Jodhpur area.


Isn't this window breathtaking?
And such a beautiful door
I'm sorry to say that while I had a small piece of cloth with me and wanted so badly to make my wish, I was concerned that I wouldn't make it back to say thanks and somehow it seemed wrong to take space for someone else's wish.  So for now my wishes are swirling around in my mind.  Guess I'll have to wait for Thanksgiving and go for the wishbone. Do you still make wishes?  Shhhh...remember, make your wish, but don't tell anyone. We want our wishes to come true!

8 comments:

  1. My wishes are usually in the form of prayer. I would think that anyone without wishes is hardly alive - with the sad news around the world we all wish for peace. Beautiful garlands of cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing pictures of your world travels...these are beautiful.....and I don't make wishes but I am a big daydreamer.....still waiting for Tom Selleck to show up at my front door :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make a lot of wishes-small and big! Lovely pictures of your visit to Jodhpur-did you climb up to the palace afterwards? Such a great view . Have a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos of your travels. Interesting about the rag garlands and wishes.

    I love the architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes....I do make wishes--ALL the time. And no, I won't share them, as you instructed---Those pictures are wonderful. Such a very Beautiful place---and the window and doors are stunning.......I love that you were there and shared the pictures with all of us......This is a trip I will never be able to take, so it is a real treat on so very many levels......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow my comment never got posted---I left it early this A.M.---well, early for me. (lol).
    I LOVE the idea of the wishing rags.....And I do make wishes, It gives me a lovely feeling of Hope!
    Those windows and doors are just Beautiful......the whole place is Beautiful......Since I can no longer travel, this was a real treat....Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading about wishes, right after reading your post on the necessity for more 'silly' in our lives was really a treat. I pray, but I also wish. I wish on stars, on birthday candles and on dandelion fluff. It takes me back to my childhood, and that is always a good thing because it keeps my soul supple!

    ReplyDelete