Sunday, December 22, 2013

Are You Ready?

I'm not ready for Christmas.  This year we traveled over Thanksgiving (can't wait to share travel photos) and once we returned back to the states, the holiday season was well underway which put me behind on shopping, decorating, baking, etc., and I've not been able to catch up.  This weekend I realized that I won't be able to catch up and there may not be a purchase for everyone on my list. Today I went for a Christmas visit with my mom I was reminded that Christmas isn't about purchases. 

My mom lives in middle Georgia, a farming region in the state, and pecans are one of the region's crops. Every Christmas since my dad died in 2005, my mom cracks and shells pecans as gifts for those on her gift list.  When my dad was living they shelled pecans together at night while they watched tv so this is a tradition she has continued.  But as my mom has aged, shelling pecans isn't so easy to do.  I was so touched to receive her special gift.  She also gave me a little decoration from my younger years in the 60s.  Back in the day we called the little fellow a "Pixie" though today I think these adorable decorations have been re-marketed as the "Elf on the Shelf."   My vintage Pixie now has a very special place on our mantle. 

Tonight I'm treasuring holiday memories and trying not to think so much about all the undone tasks.

2 comments: