Saturday, October 20, 2012

Dreams and a WD Media Player




It's our dreams, doctor, that carry us on. They separate us from the beasts. I wouldn't want to go on living if I thought it was all just eating, and sleeping, and taking my clothes off, I mean putting them on.                                                                                 - Veta Louise Simmons, Harvey (1950)
 



Isn’t that a great quote from Harvey?   I love movies and by saying this I don’t mean I enjoy movies, I mean I really love them.  I keep movie passes on hand all the time so that I’ve got tickets when I need them.   We subscribe to Netflix though the selection of films to stream could be better in my opinion.  BUT I have something that I think is amazing and I’ve really been wanting to tell you about it for a while.  Well, let me tell you a story.

Over the years I started buying DVDs – all my favorites Avanti, Valley of the Dolls, Wife vs. Secretary, Random Harvest, While You Were Sleeping, That Girl, Little Women (the one with Liz Taylor and June Allison) and the list goes and as the collection grew I catalogued the films in alpha order (of course a former librarian would catalogue a library, right?).  But the dvd collection took up a lot of space. 
 Over the years when I would volunteer with the ASO Decorator Show House there would always be a media center with an amazing online media library but I’d seen the price tag on those systems which were well beyond my reach.  One day last spring I mentioned to my son that I dreamed of owning one of these systems and guess what he surprised me with for Mother’s Day?  A digital media center!   He found one by Western Digital (which was not too expensive), bought it and has since spent a lot of time converting and loading the dvds onto my media center.  It is amazing!   I now have all of my favorite movies loaded in alpha order online and the system is connected to my tv!!!  With the click of a remote control I can enjoy all of my favorite films.
 The best thing about this product is that it was not expensive.  My son would tell you that the biggest challenge is the time it takes to get everything loaded on the player but it has made me one happy movie viewer. 

I thought Veta’s quote was perfect, a dream.  My dream and my sweet son, brought me a media center and I’m one happy movie watcher.

11 comments:

  1. That's so neat that you'll be able to have them condensed and ready to watch whenever you like. I like old movies,too, or new tv mini series ones like Downton Abbey.
    Hugs and have a great Sunday,
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old movies and I am quite a movie buff! I used to watch them with my mother all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to your son for treating you! What fun it must be to have all your favorite movies at your finger tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a very thoughtful gift from your son!

    ReplyDelete
  5. isn't it great when your kids do something special for you....

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW...have you ever seen the movie Since You Went Away....if you like old movies it's a real tearjerker...I have seen it probably over 50 times...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a wonderful gift from your son. He knows you well. And I love the last movie - While You Were Sleeping - it's one of my very favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find that with each passing year having my children to share stories and movies with is the best gift.
    Also walks with nature and taking time to share life with one another.
    Enjoy your day~
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet thing for your son to do. I'm a bit of a Luddite, and had never heard of such a thing as you've described. I think I know a fellow who might like one of these!

    ReplyDelete