Sunday, November 27, 2011

Handcrafted in the U.S. - Wendell August

After enjoying Thanksgiving feasts, lots of naps, shopping, movies and a four-day work break I've turned my attention to the Christmas season.
 So now I'm thinking about gifts and recently I've noticed a number of posts about buying and giving "made in the USA."  For bloggers focused on trying to support local economies, I thought I would pass along a company I was introduced to last year.  

My girlfriend Marta (and I know she is going to read this post), gave me a beautiful pewter ornament.   I own a very small collection of pewter and enamel over metal ornaments so the gift Marta gave me was a real treasure.  Marta told me that ornament was handcrafted by Wendell August, a company in her home town that burned to the ground last year.  Her purchase was to intended to help support the company and the local economy.  

I thought I'd pass along the story and a link to Wendell August in case you are looking for handmade jewelry, ornaments or other household items.  You are going to love these works of art. 


  1. I hear you about the made in the USA! Shopping in Pottery Barn and WSonoma Outlet it was hard to find anything made here.
    I will check the site.
    Hope you had a great Tgiving with your joys!

  2. I love the idea of shopping local and only products made in the USA...wonderful post!

  3. Actually, this company is located very close to where I grew up and I have lots and lots of these pieces. They are very popular wedding shower gifts. They will momogram things, too. This town is a small, college town that has suffered the economic downturn for more years than the majority of the rest of the nation and it is such a wonderful thing to read your endorsement on your post. Thank you!
    Linda @ A Toile Tale

  4. What a lovely ornament Jojo. And I agree - buying US made would certainly help the economy. Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving!

  5. Thanks, Cheryl. I'm always looking for "Made in US" items. ;-)

  6. It's getting increasingly more difficult to find 'Made in Canada' or 'Made in the USA' items. I'm always on the lookout. The ornament is so pretty!

  7. Lovely Lovely Ornament..... And I think it is important that we support local businesses and stores that feature items made in our country....Thanks so much for the 'heads up', my dear...!

  8. What a beauty that ornament is!!! I try to shop local but as stated, it's gettin' harder and harder.

    God bless and have a beautiful day sweetie!!! :o)