Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Macarons and Good Times at Viking Cooking School

This past weekend was dedicated to baking and what a wonderful baker's weekend it was! 

Saturday morning kicked off with a class at Viking Cooking School.  It was my first class there and I can assure you it won't be my last.  I ended up in a group of four fun macaron-making wanabees.  It just so happened that one of our group members had just completed culinary school but was taking the class to perfect his macaron.    Rolf is a personal chef.   I'm not sure what all that entails but I would like to have one!

Having a chef in our group was a great excuse to let Rolf take the lead on preparations and he was great in explaining what he was doing.  It was like getting bonus instruction because our teacher was great.  


As you can see she was very "hands on" and oh so animated.  I enjoyed her enthusiasm. 
We mixed, 

and whipped,
and piped,

and waited for "legs" to appear. 
They did!!!
Adding filling was the easy part and Mary Ella and Christi went right to work filling our orange macarons with an incredible orange marmalade butter cream filling flavored with Triple Sec!!!  Wish I could share one with each of you but trust me, these delicious, delicate crisp bites just melt in your mouth.  Yum.

7 comments:

  1. Oh they look so good! We have a WS in Bridgehampton that does demos, never have gone though! Maybe during the boring winter.
    Caught up on your posts. Love the ornaments and the pyramid your son gave you.
    A very blessed Christmas to you!
    And yes, I always shop after Mass! My dad would be very annoyed with me, rest his soul! He was a stickler for keeping Sunday holy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked like fun. Maybe next time I will join you in a class.
    Happy holidays

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to bake for Christmas but all my doings were abruptly halted about a week ago. Have been abed but thankfully it looks like I will make an almost complete recovery by Christmas. Haven't seen my grands all week and I miss them so hopefully I'll be able to cook our annual Christmas family breakfast. Hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas and a most blessed New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great fun! My daughter and I are talking about doing a class at a cooking school. You've confirmed for me that we'd love it. Ooh, Macarons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun class. Sue and I organized a class for the blog gals 1.5 year ago. We took the Farm To Table class. There was not much interest among the blog group but Sue and I and her neighbor attended. So much fun eating our finished products. I first ate Macarons in Paris this Sept at Laudree. They were pretty and had some amazing flavor combos. I bought back a box for Sue and she loved them. Guess we do not have to fly to Paris to eat them but can now just drive to your house:-)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Cheryl! I really enjoyed the class and I now I am a follower of yours. I love the blog and please keep in touch. I would love to have lunch to talk about some opportunities with you and your wine club. My email is rjermaineallen@hotmail.

    ReplyDelete