Sunday, July 25, 2010

Green Jacket - Macon, Georgia


I was surfing and ran into a blog doing some research on restaurants in Macon, Georgia and it reminded me that during the summer of 1976, I worked at The Green Jacket in Macon.  If you know anything about golf, the name of the restaurant will sound familiar.  Personally I knew nothing about golf, the Augusta National nor the Masters, when I took the job there.  It's been interesting as I've gotten older and learned how significant the Green Jacket is and how fortunate we in Georgia are to be a part of the history.  (My girlfriend's cousin at the age of 17 was kicked out of the Masters for life for yelling "Fore" as a prank but that is a different story)!!!

In 1976 several exciting things were happening in Macon.   The Allman Brothers were a significant force in music and Greg had just married Cher.  The film The Bingo Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings was being filmed in Macon.  During the summer while working at The Green Jacket, both Cher and Billy Dee Williams, stopped in to dine.  In 1976, I was a very small town girl with a very small world.  To this day I think back to the time and marvel at how amazing it all seemed.

I learned a lot working in a restaurant.  I learned that lightening will not strike you down for walking into a bar (raised a Baptist - I was afraid), people working in restaurants work hard with long hours, and, lastly, you never know who you might meet.

Guess we all worked interesting jobs at some point in our lives.   Some of my friends have de-beaked chickens, put fat in the pork 'n bean cans on an assembly line, pulled the peel off tomatoes in the canning process, packed peaches in Ft. Valley, packed panties in a South Carolina mill, served as an intern on Capitol Hill and as a waitress on Mackinac, Island.  Just curious, what was your most interesting first job?  This one wasn't my very first job but it is one of the first and one that I was glad to have tried it, if only for a summer.

14 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun to look back at those old jobs that got us through school?
    I lifeguarded, taught swimming lessons, worked on an asparagus farm, at Sears, in a bank and in a tourist information booth. Does anyone remember Woolco? I worked there too and then taught summer school in a remote northern community without running water or electricity. I was pretty happy to graduate, but I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning by experience is very important in our lives. Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked at a concession stand at a lake in the summers making cotton candy and renting out canoes. I helped my parents run our campground, checking campers in, working the camp store, lighting tiki torches around the pond every night....

    I have worked selling advertising for newspapers and magazines, owned my own clothing store, worked as a service call taker for an air conditioning company in Florida....
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, it's like another world out there. Life as a teen in the 60's here in England was completely different. I'm sure there must have been some people who got to do some of those exciting things, but it wasn't the norm. I wish it had been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being raised Baptist, I also remember that same fear of lightening when I first walked into a bar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to have the reminder of my first job. Pumping gas in the Sears gas station...and we all wore matching white shirts with red Sears logo patch. It was the best job for a social high schooler, not to mention I learned a thing or two about cars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right - every job we have does teach us something we can use in life. And it sure has changed from then - hasn't it?

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  8. times have changed. my 1st job was working at a concession stand at drive in movies. . well, the drive In's rarely exist

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a joy to have found your blog. I've had a wonderful time browsing through this and your earlier posts. I'll be back often. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was raised southern baptist and I remember the same "fears"!! My first job was at a place that sold parking meters!! It made going off to college very easy!! My last (full-time, salary paying) job was at The Pentagon--a long way from parking meters for sure!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my...I remember those days! I'm afraid I jumped right into teaching without much in between...other than a few retail clothing jobs...where a fat lady stepped on my big toe! Ouch! I still can't go without polish because of it...not pretty! lol I hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great story! I love stuff like this. I was graduating from High School that year in SoCal and I was working at Disneyland. I never saw a celebrity there except for all the Disney characters. But, I did meet many celebs just because I live near Hollywood! Like you, I find it fascinating how paths cross!

    Hugs, KJ

    ReplyDelete
  13. first job...working as a soda jerk for my uncle one summer at his mercantile in a small town.

    been to macon, ga many, many times. great little city. some fab mansions to tour.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where was the Green Jacket located at in 1976? I remember it being in the Hilton

    ReplyDelete