Sunday, May 17, 2009

Wishing For a Real Summer


After a few days at the beach I find myself wishing for a real summer vacation. As a kid it was the summer we waited on the whole school year long. Oh if only I could have one more summer break!

Being from the Georgia farming belt, summers meant weeding, picking, shelling and shucking along with plenty of briars, peach fuzz that itched like crazy and knats. It also meant eating some of the best home grown all summer long. In between the hard work there was time for playing with the hose, watching ants and making banana sandwiches and lemonade. While my sister and I dreamed of having a pool we learned to make the most of the watering hose. And yes, we wore swim caps. This bathing beauty happens to be my niece in her swim cap. It was refreshing to see her wearing one - I didn't know they were still made. Looks like a good old-fashioned summer in the making for Melanie.

Well, guess its out of the sun and into the fluorescent light of an office tomorrow but it doesn't stop me from wishing for an old-fashioned summer vacation.

1 comment:

  1. Oh thank you for the trip down memory lane. I'm right there with you. I remember growing up in Blue Ridge, GA. Talk about your Mayberry.

    My grandmother would grow her own veggies. We would take walks in the evenings and pick black berries. I can smell her blackberry cobbler now. Now, I'm gonna go wipe my tears of a fond memory.

    ReplyDelete