Thursday, May 28, 2009

Manicures and More

If you read my posts very often you know that I enjoy volunteering. For the past year and a half me and a volunteer partner have mentored two women who for some time were homeless but have now transitioned into permanent housing. While they have found a place to live, they have no car and they still face a number of challenges that most of us will never have to face.

Our experiences with these ladies have been so much fun. Over the past many months we have gone out to eat, been shopping (one trip to Target took hours just so they could enjoy looking at everything), watched movies and other been on excursions that provide opportunity for fun and fellowship. This month I was in charge of planning our outing and after mulling over a couple of ideas I thought that it would be fun to go get manicures. About every month or so after a hard day of house or yard work, I will go get a manicure on a Saturday afternoon and it is such a relaxing experience so it seemed like the perfect activity for spring.

My volunteer partner and I picked up our lady friends and headed for the local nail shop. It was funny because the ladies were nervous and very unsure of the process. The shop keeper was even more confused because we came in as a group and she couldn't figure out how we all belonged together. At one point she asked me what was our relationship, though I don't think I provided enough information when I said, "we're all friends."


It was such a fun outing and all of us were so proud our new manicures and soft hands. On the way home we discussed how long it had been since our last manicure. One of the ladies said when she got married and the other lady said, "never." We also had time to plan our summer outing and it looks like we may be headed to a paint your pottery place. Volunteering is so much fun.

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful and touching, Jojo. You inspire me so much. I was thinking about making my tissue paper flowers and bringing them over to a nursing home with my daughter over the summer. I think you had mentioned this once a while back? Oh, those women most have been so happy. What a great day for all of you.
    Blessings to you,
    Cyndy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea and a great inspiration for all of us. Look at those smiles...worth every moment. I'm so glad I stumbled across your site, I enjoy it and you so very much. Have a good weekend..;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just look at the happy face in the last photo -- you really made her day! What a nice thing to do. I hope they will be able to conquer all the obstacles they face and with mentors like you and your partner I think they will!

    ReplyDelete