Friday, April 17, 2009

2009 ASO Decorator Show House

I know Joni on Cote de Texas has posted that she doesn't care much for show houses but for the past five years I have led a group of volunteers in staffing the ASO Decorator Show House in Atlanta. Not only is it one of the most fun volunteer events I participate in, the event helps raise money for a great cause - the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. When we first began helping with the event, our group volunteered during the show but for the past three years we have been asked to help on opening day and for me it makes the event even more fun. On opening day typically all of the designers are at the event so volunteers get to spend the day visiting with them. In the past few years I have been assigned rooms with Cheryl & Alison Womack, Meg Adams and others. This year I noticed that the designers who have created the decor for my employer are listed as the designers for the Show House. Something really unique this year is that the house is actually a high rise - the new St. Regis Hotel! Personally I can't wait to see the balcony landscapings and do a little shopping at Boxwoods.

UPDATE - I just got home from the Show House and I loved it (You aren't allowed to take photos but click here for a few from the AJC. There are three condos to tour and I have to say the traditional condo is more to my taste but there were some things about a few of the contemporary spaces that were amazing. My area was in the living room, which was designed by Essary & Murphy, that led out onto the terrace. All of the terraces were beautiful and all had fantastic views that look out over the city. We were on the 12th floor so we were high enough to be away from noise and had beautiful views of the north and west part of the metro Atlanta area. William Murphy stayed in the room the entire time and you could not have asked for a more gracious and engaged designer. If you live in the metro area you have to visit and while there you might consider booking a tea time in The Long Gallery. I would like to go back to the St. Regis just to enjoy the restaurant. Beautiful!

1 comment: