Friday, February 13, 2009

American Sweetheart Monax

I love doilies. To me they are form of paper lace that can be used in a million different ways - lining wastebaskets to make trash pretty, a beautiful border to edge a room, the inspiration for a valentine card, a placemat, stencil...or more. Several years ago I was visiting my sister in who was living in D.C. at the time. She had heard that there was a great Goodwill store in the Anacostia neighborhood in D.C. and while the neighborhood was not the safest, she thought we might find some bargains so off we went. It may seem strange to talk about doilies and Anacostia but on that day I found a small plate that was like finding a glass doily. It took me several years to see the same plate again but when I found it, an antique dealer was able to tell me a little something about the glass doily. It was a depression glass called American Sweetheart Monax. You have probably seen the pink, amber and green but you don't see the glass doily as often. When I think of Valentines Day I think of doilies and doilies remind me of my favorite glassware. To celebrate the season, today I stopped in at an antique market and picked up a few more plates for my collection. Happy Valentines Day!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jojo

    What a beautiful plate to collect. I never saw the clear glass depression glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my grandmother's set of good dishes. I have been trying for many years to collect a set. I have many pieces but when you no longer want what you have I will gladly take them off your hands. Linda Kunze 318 13th Avenue Palmer,NE 68864 home 308-894-5075 Cell 308-750-1092

    ReplyDelete