Monday, August 18, 2008

Hard to Say Goodbye




I try to find joy in everything but I had to really ponder yesterday's situation to find the joy so that I could share this event. You see my oldest son leaves for Iraq next Saturday. We had carefully planned this past weekend around my son, meaning that he was in charge of plans. We ate at his favorite restaurants and eateries and we kept to his schedule doing our best to maximize our time together. The weekend was so much fun until we got to the goodbyes. Through the years during partings with my children, I have made it my practice to never cry as we say goodbye. I know that it is just as hard for my kids to say goodbye and I would never want them to carry my sadness while dealing with their own sadness. Instead I wait and cry in private. But yesterday as I hugged my son, I asked him to give me a big hug from his heart. As soon as the words came out of my mouth, I cried. He then got in his truck and drove back to South Carolina.

The rest of the evening seemed so heavy with sadness but today I got up grateful for all the good times we have had together this summer. We had a mini-vacation in June and a big family cookout in July. This weekend was the last of the celebrations and memory making.

So now I will turn my attention to preparing fun packages with goodies from home so that he will find some joy in every box.

9 comments:

  1. Oh I can't even imagine. My eyes are welling up as I read this! Tell him thank you for serving our country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jo Jo
    That must be a veryhard thing, to say goodbye to a sone going of to war. I'll be praying for a safe return.
    He sure is handsome!
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I cry as I read this. What a beautiful boy and his mother. God Bless him and protect him while he is away. I will pray for his safe return and for you, as well. Blessings to you and your family.
    Peace and Hugs,
    Cyndy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine how difficult this must have been for you. I will say a prayer for his safe return and I know he will love receiving all the wonderful things you'll be sending him until he does!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo-Jo, My second comment tonight. I am so excited you are getting into this whole postcard swap idea. I take that as I can officially count you in! Yay! It will be a general autumn/fall theme. I'm brainstorming, too! So, get that craft paper ready. Can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm sure it will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo Jo
    I just checked my new post to make sure there were no errors and saw your comment. You made me laugh with your alliteration!! Brilliant Balzonry!!I love it!!
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your blog, I am so sorry for the sadnes of having your son leave. I will also pray for his safe return. Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. God Bless him and protect him. Praying for his safe return and strenght for you mom. I can't imagine how difficult that good-by must have been. Thank him for all of us...

    jojo in wa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be thinking of you both!
    Serving his country is such a noble thing to do!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete