Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Celebrating Yang Peiyi - A Beautiful Child


Have you been watching the Olympics? I am not really a sports fan (except for my high school football team) but I do enjoy watching the Olympics and cheering for "our team." I also get excited about the global participation in an event where, generally speaking, politics are put aside. People compete in so many arenas and then congratulate one another. Other countries win events and the world celebrates anthems from countries all over the world. I feel happy that we respect one another. But today I felt sad for one little girl. In today's news we learned that young 7-year-old Yang Peiyi sang "Ode to Motherland" beautifully on Friday during the opening ceremonies but another little girl was chosen to appear before the world. It was decided that Yang Peiyi was not adequate because the child appearing in the ceremonies should be "flawless" in the camera's eye. It makes you wonder who decided this but today I want to use my blog posting to celebrate this beautiful young singer. Maybe my bi-focal contacts need to be changed but to me this little girl is beautiful.

10 comments:

  1. Hi
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I just heard abiut that litle girl today. I think the Chinese governmnet is very scary, too controlling, not trustworthy.
    Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not quite sure how I found your blog but with a name like Jojo I had to check it out:)

    I agree, that little sweetie is just beautiful...how dare anyone say otherwise.

    Have a great day...and i'll be back soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All God's creatures, great and small are beautiful.
    Thanks for your lovely and kind post and for visiting me - at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yang Peiyi is a truly beautiful child! What a darling smile!

    The Chinese government is the only ugly thing in this case!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband said over breakfast this morning, "those people are simply crazy, this child is adorable". I think a lot of people are saying the same thing all over the world today with the end result being a serious black mark on the Chinese powers that be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! When I first opened your post, I just saw this wide-eyed beautiful face. I was surprised after I read on. That is terrible. It made me wonder what this precious little one understood about the whole thing. Awful. But she is a beauty.
    As for the postcard swap, so glad you're taking the plunge! I figure, I'll make-up six postcards and send them out to whoever wants one, hopefully someone will send one back my way! Hee,hee...No pressure, really!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suppose it is all in the eye of the beholder, and mine tell me she is sweet.
    Moreover it sends the two children all the wrong messages from my point of view.
    Everything about this Chinese show is about appearances. But I am old enough to remember that Julie Andrews was not considered cute enough for the movie version of My Fair Lady. Hum . . . better put that stone down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's beautiful indeed. And her voice was heavenly.
    It's very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sad that they would resort to something that in my opinion is quite UGLY... to do that to such a beautiful child and with such a beautiful voice simply puts a huge black mark on the face of the Chinese people

    I hope it doesnt scar this lovely child and that she grows with the confidence that she is beautiful both inside and out...

    This type of incident makes one not even want to watch ...

    HUGS FROM THE OTHER JO

    ReplyDelete