Saturday, June 14, 2008

Father's Day



Happy Father's Day. I hope if you are a Father that today you take a moment to give thanks for the special gift that you have been given. You have been given the gift of precious ones, trusted in your care as you love and lead a family. At least that is what I learned from my Dad. I am a bit melancholy as I write this because I lost my Dad a couple of years ago. At the same time I am so thankful that I was blessed with such a wonderful father as "Pap." Now that he is gone, it is so easy to think of him as a saint and in many ways he was. His ability to overlook adversity and hardship was amazing. Even greater was his ability to love. His love of the earth and growing things, simple living, mankind, community were all evident in his day-to-day living. But his greatest gift was the example he set by remaining strong in his faith and loving and caring for his family. As I celebrate Father's Day I can't help but be a bit sad but at the same time I give thanks for my Dad. If you have a Dad in your life I hope you help make his day a very special day of celebration.

Pictured on the left is my "little brother" and my Dad. The photo on the right is my Dad (L) as a little boy with his sister and brother. My granddad is in the background near the barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment