Saturday, January 26, 2008

Thinking About Getaways



What is it about January that makes you think about vacations? This time last year I remember coming home from work after a particularly stressful day and booking a trip to France. Within days I regretted booking so impulsively. Not because I didn't want to go, but because I would have booked a longer trip if I had thought it through. When I called to change my ticket, I found out that it would have cost me double what my original ticket cost. So we went to France for 6 days.

So here it is, January again, and as I work from my "office" at home, my mind drifts away to places I have never been but would like to go - India, Morocco, Thailand, Greece, Brasil , Puka Puka . . . . Then I think about places I have already visited but wish I could return for a longer period of time - Portugal, Lebanon, Cornwall (U.K), Netherlands and of course France.
Instead, this time of year I curl up in my bed, or "office" and surf the web. The internet lets me go sightseeing until my heart's content. I feel so royally French in my bedchamber. If you have visited Versailles, or read about it on the web, you know that Louis XIV's bedchamber was the key setting for ceremonial events, entertaining and other business. I prefer to keep my bedroom as my own little sanctuary, so given the history of the bedroom, the next time you decide to hang out in bed...just think of yourself as royalty!

No comments:

Post a Comment